Ummm… this is one of my favorite RuPaul’s Drag Race episodes EVER. Not only was it the most hilarious LSFYL that I have ever seen, but I got to see if extra screen time would give a little follower-spike to the eliminated queens.
Sadly, it didn’t. None of the heartwarming stories or Untucked bonding gave any spikes to the eliminated queens. While there does tend to be a correlation between screen time and number of followers gained, it doesn’t seem to work if we know they won’t be crowned. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.
Jaidynn didn’t get an elimination spike. We agreed with Ru that it was time for her to go, even though we would all want to give her a BIG HUG if we saw her in person.
Pretty queen update: Miss Fame’s numbers are on the decline, Violet’s on the rise, and Pearl is still killing it. I summarize seasonal growth at the end of this post, and Pearl is ranked #1 for every channel.
Funny queen update: Trixie and Katya gained practically the same number of fans this week. Both are doing well.
Let’s take a moment to look more closely at Kennedy’s rankings, inspired by my “WHY IN JESUS’ NAME DID SHE WIN THAT MINI CHALLENGE WHEN SOMEONE ELSE DID AN HOMAGE TO PUSSY RIOT?!” reaction. It’s a similar reaction I have when Kennedy does something completely forgettable and then gets praised for it. (This does not include Little Richard. That was good.)
Look at the Twitter chart!
- Less Popular + Mediocre Performance = Eliminated
- Less Popular + Mediocre Performance + Receives Praise = Villain
It’s math, so it must be true.
- The rankings remain unchanged.
- Pearl, Katya, Trixie and Violet gained the most followers this week. Pearl is in the lead (2,600; 9%), followed by Katya (2,500; 11%), Trixie (2,300; 10%) and Violet (2,200; 12%).
- No elimination spike for Jaidynn.
- While I expected a little spike for the eliminated queens, most gained approximately the same number of followers as in weeks past (150-500 followers).
- Kennedy shows similar growth patterns to eliminated queens.
- Tempest is still more popular than the rest of the eliminated queens.
- Pearl is now in the #1 spot, beating Miss Fame by 13 followers. She also gained the most new followers (2,694).
- Trixie and Katya also gained a significant number of followers (2,579 and 2,568, respectively).
- Last week, Max temporarily ousted Trixie for position #4. Trixie has jumped back up to #4, and Max is #5.
- Jaidynn continues to climb in rank. At episode 2, she was #13. She is now #9, having leapfrogged over Jasmine this week.
- Kennedy Davenport continues to do well in the competition, but she only gained 280 new followers (4%). Similar to Twitter, she is officially among the ranks of all eliminated queens.
- The rankings for Instagram remain unchanged. I keep thinking that Pearl will bypass Miss Fame any day now. Pearl gained 9,000 followers this week, compared to Miss Fame’s 5,000. She is 3,000 followers behind Miss Fame. (And 2,000 behind when I posted this blog.)
- Jaidynn did not get an elimination spike, having gained 2,300 new followers this week, compared to 2,200 last week.
- Jasmine gained 29 new followers this week, compared to her usual 150-250 per week. Extra screen time might have hindered followership.
We are at a point in time that relative increase no longer matters as much, and sheer numbers does. The following charts show the queens’ gain in followers over the course of the season. Since Miss Fame started out with 96,000 Instagram followers, I wanted a chance to see the numbers gained solely as a result of being on the show.
- Pearl is knocking it out of the park, with the most followers in each channel. She has gained about 20,000 followers on Twitter, 25,000 on Facebook, and 79,000 on Instagram. Want to know what’s funny? In her interview on Homo Happy Hour, she said she doesn’t like doing a lot of social media. SHE DOESN’T EVEN HAVE TO WORK FOR IT!
- The funny gals (Katya and Trixie) are in 2nd and 3rd place on Twitter, with 15,500 and 15,200 new followers, respectively. The ability to pack a punch in 140 characters is important.
- The pretty gals (Violet and Miss Fame) are in 2nd and 3rd place on Instagram with 52,200 and 35,700 new followers, respectively. This is appropriate for Instagram’s visual medium, as they do a lot of “Hey, look at my outfit!” posts.
- Ginger is strongly middle of the road in terms of fans gained on all platforms. People say she is getting the winner’s edit, but fans aren’t buying it.
- Tempest has gained more followers this season than the queens who were eliminated after her. On Twitter and Facebook, she gained more followers than Kennedy, Kandy, Jasmine, and Sasha.