And the winner of RuPaul’s Drag Race is… WHO CARES?
Don’t get me wrong. I love the remaining four queens. I would drop some change to see them at a live show and beg for a selfie. I can intellectually rationalize why they could be crowned. But none of them make my heart go pitter-patter the way Bianca, Jinkx, Sharon, and Raja did.
Katya made our hearts go pitter-patter, and her elimination spike illustrates the outpouring of love from the fans. She gained the most new followers on every channel: 4,300 on Twitter, 4,373 on Facebook, and 12,400 on Instagram. At least she’ll be Miss Congeniality. Because duh.
It’s time to start tracking hashtag campaigns! I used a tool called Talkwalker, and the hashtag ranking lines up the same as the rest of social media ranking. (Posted after the social channels report.)
Of the remaining queens:
- Pearl is 1st place on all channels, including total followers and total new seasonal followers. She has been for a long time. #TeamPearl = 381 mentions this week.
- Violet is close to the top (5th on Twitter, 3rd on Facebook and Instagram). #TeamViolet = 258 mentions this week.
- Ginger is in the middle (7th place on all three channels). #TeamGinger = 94 mentions this week.
- Kennedy is in the bottom 3rd (11th on Twitter, 13th on Facebook, and 12th on Instagram). #TeamKennedy = 85 mentions this week.
Pearl scores highest on the social media (“pitter-patter”) race, but Ru’s criticism of Pearl’s attitude on What’s the T makes me think he won’t pick her. She has also been in the bottom two twice. Ginger is middle of the road (#7 on every channel) on social media, and comedy queens were kicked off like flies this season. I think Ru wants a fashion gal. Kennedy (bless her) just isn’t popular enough.
- The last two episodes have been major spikes for Katya. She gained 4,300 new followers this week. You can see the sharp increase in followers in the first chart, where she flew past Miss Fame.
- Pearl has (still) gained the most new followers over the season (27,600), but Katya is not far behind, with 24,861 gained.
- Violet (2,900) has gained more followers than Pearl this week (2,600).
- Kennedy has been in 12th place since episode 7, and she has now leapt past Kandy Ho for 11th place.
- Jaidynn is now in the 8th place, and Tempest is now in 9th place. They are neck-and-neck, with Jaidynn leading Tempest by 70 followers.
- Katya gained the most new followers (4,373), with Pearl several laps behind (2,429).
- Pearl (+31,623) is narrowly beating Katya (+29,833) in total followers accrued over the course of the season.
- Violet (36,619) has more total followers than Katya (33,314), but Katya has gained more new followers (29,833 vs. Violet’s 18,620) over the course of the season.
- Mrs. Kasha has increased to #10, beating Jasmine by 284 followers.
- Katya gained 12,400 new followers this week, and jumped to spot #4, sending Trixie down a notch. (It’s okay. They’re still friends.)
- Over the season, Pearl has gained 112,200 new followers, compared to Violet’s 78,700. For comparison, Ginger has gained 25,800, and Kennedy has gained 15,200.
- Can we give some love to Jasmine? Her loss in followers (likely due to blocking) makes me sad. Come on, RuPaul’s best friend race!
- #TeamPearl: 381 mentions over the last week
- #TeamViolet: 258 mentions over the last week
- #TeamGinger: 94 mentions over the last week
- #TeamKennedy: 85 mentions over the last week